Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Apple That Changed Everything

Yeah I did it.

I ate The Apple.

Okay not The Apple, an apple. Specifically a brand of apple I've never liked since I was little.

Red Delicious. Yeah I know it's crazy, NOT LIKING RED DELICIOUS but liking apples. Yeah I don't get it either. Still I ate one today and I LIKED IT, A LOT.

I ate it down to the core. (Freudian slips - each time I've typed the word ate, it's come out as age - hmmmm.) Back to the apple. I've avoided Red Delicious applies since I was little. At one point in my life, I even went so far as to go to the farmers market and purchase one of all the apples they had in stock, to determine exactly which ones I liked. Except I skipped the Red and Golden Delicious because I was absoposilutely sure I didn't like that particular species of apple.

A food prejudice? Neurosis, maybe. I like diced tomato but not sliced tomato. I like grapes, dried grapes, err raisins and cooked grapes, grape leaves even but I don't like cooked raisins. I like crisp slightly tart, slightly sweet apples but I don't like Red Delicious. Only I did today.

So what was that about? Why was this Red Delicious apple different from the ones I age ate I don't even know how many years ago? Fresh picked, locally grown, kept cool, organic? What?!? What made this apple so enticing?

Turns out it was all of those things, except two. It was from Chile. It was not organic. I ate it to the core. Now that I think about it, if I could, I would go back and get the seeds because it would grow the same Red Delicious and delicious apple from those seeds. Yeah I'd have to wait a few years for the tree to fruit but I've waited this long to enjoy a Red Delicious, right?

Those thoughts actually led me to consider moving to Chile. It's a thought. That I'm seriously considering. I could at least living there during harvest season.

Then I remembered some biology and realized, those seeds from that delectable Red Delicious wouldn't actually produce an apple tree, with the same exact apples. Sigh.

Those apples grew under very specific conditions. A specific male spore, dusted a specific female flower, possibly through cross-pollination. The dust was carried through the air or left by a specific winged pollinating insect. It all happened precisely to produce that particular apple and no other apple was just like it. Similar, almost identical even, but not just like that one.

I am unable to duplicate those results. It's pointless trying. That singular experience cannot be reproduced. I'll enjoy. I enjoyed it. It's gone for now. I have no future expectations.

I'm just a being, who liked for a moment a unique Red Delicious apple.

Ahh experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not all comments will appear immediately as comment moderation is enabled.